Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 381 Othello, Wa. A rather blustery day

Buena!

My goodness. This week was...well...kinda rough. And crazy. But good. Welcome to the mission. :) During the week, every single one of our lessons cancelled. Every one. And that stinks big time, especially when you're walking. It's starting to get into spring weather around here (ALREADY) which means the wind has been picking up. Remember last spring when I told you about the wind in Hermiston? Yeah. It's like that. Hair in a bun, err'day.

In other news, we moved out of the Haworth's house! They only signed up to have the missionaries for a year, and it was up this month, so they moved us into an apartment this weekend just a few blocks away. (Okay, lets be real, everything is only a few blocks away in Othello, but still.) It's weird to be back in an apartment...haven't done that since college!! But we like it :) It's nice to have a place all our own! The only downside is that the shower head is only like 5 feet off the ground, and the hot water lasts for a good 6 minutes....but hey. Livin the dream. :)

What else...oh the bishop of one of the wards here is a dentist in Moses Lake, so he offered to give us a free exam and cleaning this week. (thank goodness, it's been too long!!!) haha poor Hna Gifford had SEVEN cavities...and I had zero. awwwwwww yeah. He's going to fill her cavities for free too. What a guy. He made us sing in church this weekend though, so I guess that paid him back. Or something like that.

Okay. Now for the good stuff.

We had interviews with President as well as specialized training this week. It was so good!! It was on asking inspired questions and how we need to "go to heaven" to get the question to ask them instead of using "prepaid questions." So then we did role plays. I was the investigator, and so I chose to be Alfonso. They asked some incredible questions and the Spirit was SO strong. Turns out Hna Gifford was him for her role play as well, and we both received some awesome revelation for him. It was so cool. Role plays are so hard and awkward, but they can be incredible as well.

Yesterday we had a lesson that totally made up for our ridiculous week. First off, let me tell you...Sundays on the mish are the most stressful day of the week. We went nonstop from 6 in the morning until 5 for dinner at a member's. No breakfast, no lunch, no nothing. Just meeting after meeting after appointment after appointment. Aiee. But we had this appointment with a referral at our ward mission leader's house. It was this lady Deanna and her daughter Sammi. We taught them the Restoration, and it went SO SO well!! Like the best lesson I've had in a few transfers. When we taught about the great apostasy, she stopped us and was like, "So how will the gospel come back?? Will Christ come back to bring back his church?" BOOOOOM. It's so so rare to have an investigator have it click like that! It was awesome. They both told us they felt the Spirit, the mom prayed at the end, all of it. They're so prepared. :) Keep them in your prayers! They're both definitely looking for direction and peace in their lives, and they are already recognizing this will do that for them.

My comp and I are starting another 40 day fast. It's cool to see my progression over the mission, because my list is different than when I did it the first time. And not as many things on the list. :)

Just wanted to share something I learned this week:
In Lehi's dream, Satan's greatest tool was the great and spacious building. People were mocking and pointing their fingers and making the people who were trying to choose the right feel ashamed and guilty. Usually when I read that I think of other people, who mock Mormons and try to lead us astray. Right? Well...In 1 Nephi 11:35 it says "And the multitude of the earth was gathered together; and I beheld that they were in a large and spacious abuilding, like unto the building which my father saw. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Behold the world and the wisdom thereof; yea, behold the house of Israel hath gathered together to bfight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb."

So the great and spacious building...is OURSELVES. Satan's greatest tool is to make us feel like we aren't worth it. Like we are too guilty, too unworthy, not good enough. To mock ourselves, put ourselves down. I would share the whole scripture chain with you, but basically the answer is to just let go. Don't let Satan get your attention. We have to let go of those feelings and thoughts and recognize who we REALLY are. You are good enough. You are a child of God. Believe Him when He says He can make you clean, to get you to the celestial kingdom. God never works through discouragement or putting us down. He is always trying to lift us up, to help us be better, to be HAPPY. I know it's true. I've had to learn that lesson over and over again on my mission, and this week it really hit me hard.

I love you all!! Sorry this is so long...Thanks for the awesome letters and all your prayers!!

Andale pues.

Sista Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment