Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 281 Yakima, WA. happy dance

CONFERENCE FANS, IT'S TIME.
*white sheet drops* *crowd goes wild*

haha that's pretty much how I felt about conference. Sister Love and I
decided its exactly like the BYU basketball games except instead of
Jimmer and the team behind the sheet, it's President Monson and the
apostles. hahaha :)

This was a FANTASTIC week, my friends!! Some great high points:
-got a package from the Utah Valley Children's Choir this week!!!! I
LOVED IT!!! Oh my gosh. So adorable. I wrote them a letter back so
hopefully they'll get it soon. Did they have choir retreat this week
or something? My favorite letter that was in there said "I don't know
you, but I'm sure you're amazing. Sorry if you cant read this, it's
below 36 degrees and we're writing outside. Well I love you." haha so
cuteeeee!!!

-We taught David again this week and it was super well, as usual!! We
read Alma 32 and talked about faith (duh). I love teaching their
family. The Spirit is always so strong and we are pretty much handed
what to say by the Spirit. It's great. I love being a missionary.

-We taught a boy named Tyler last week and read out of the BoM with
him...1 Nephi 3 to be exact. We got him pumped about the story and had
him tell us what he learned from Nephi's example and everything. And
then we left him at Chapter 4 so he has to read to find out how Nephi
got the plates. And what boy doesn't love reading about people's heads
being chopped off? hahaha :)

-oooh I got to play a 12 string guitar this week!! This lady just
moved into our ward and she just whipped that thing out...IT'S SO
COOL. I had to be careful not to drool all over it. So much fun to
play.

Okay but back to General Conference. (Which, by the way, did you guys
see the picture of Becca Newman they showed? Represent!! haha) This
part might be long....sorry. Some highlights/things I learned:

Edward Dube:
-in the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve, but HOW
-the past is to be learned from but not lived in...faith is ALWAYS
pointing toward the future

Dieter F Uchtdorf:
....all of it. incredible talk. but especially when he said to always
first doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith

I loved S Gifford Nielson's "Game Plan" of how to be a member missonary...
1. Specifically pray to bring someone to the church every day
2. pray for the missionaries in your area and their investigators
every day BY NAME
3. Invite a friend to an activity in or out of your home

Jeffrey R Holland (who, by the way, is the one rumored to be coming to
speak to us!!):
-if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it. and be strong, and look to
better days ahead

ALL OF M RUSSELL BALLARDS TALK!! everybody hear the challenge to share
the gospel with one person before Christmas? DO IT!! :)

Henry B Eyring:
-we may be insignificant and contemptible in our own eyes and in the
eyes of others, but the fact remains that we are a child of God, and
He has given angels charge over us to help us

Adrian Ochoa:
-Never forget to look up!!!

Also loved the talks given by Richard G Maynes, Richard G Scott,
President Monson, David M McConkie.

I have so many pages of notes...but those were some highlights. Gah, I
love conference weekend. We only had a couple investigators watch it
which was a bit of a bummer. I just wish the whole world would stop
that weekend so everyone would have to watch it. haha :)

Well this is long enough. And I'm sure you have things to do. After
all, you have lives. haha :) But I love and miss you all!!

OH FYI: Oct 16th will be our P Day instead of the 14th since we are
going to the temple!!! So don't freak out when you don't get an email
that Monday :)

Kaybye.

Sister Ashley Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment